top of page
  • Writer's pictureClean Team USA

Poison Proof Your Home

According to the poison control helpline, 90% of the time poisonings happen in your very own home, specifically in your kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom. Learning how to poison proof your home can help protect your kids and pets from getting ahold of harmful items. Follow these tips for ways to protect your family from an accidental poisoning.

Room Analysis

Start by conducting a room by room analysis looking for any items that could be harmful if consumed. Take note of everything that is in reach of either your children or pets.

Common items include:

  • Magnets

  • Hand Soaps

  • Prescription Drugs

  • Cleaning products/Drain Cleaner/Toilet Bowl Cleaner

  • Small Batteries

  • Pesticides

  • Laundry Detergent/Softeners

  • Dishwasher Detergent

  • Art Supplies

  • Cosmetics/Mouthwash

  • Vitamins

  • Household plants (specifically philodendron and holly berries)

  • Paint/Paint Thinner/ Paint Remover

  • Antifreeze/Lighter Fluid/ Windshield Wiper Fluid

  • Rubbing Alcohol

Lock it up!

  • Next, put child safety locks on all doors and cabinets where these items may be stored.

  • Keep purses, luggage, and grocery bags out of reach.

  • Remember that kids get curious, so it’s not a bad idea to lock even your high up cabinets.

Age and Gender, Human Poison Exposures Reported to NPDS, 2016​

Retrieved from

Get rid of excess

  • Get in the habit of disposing all your expired and unused medications by taking them to your local pharmacy. The less you keep around your home, the lower the chance of an accidental poisoning.

Be aware!

  • Don’t rely on child-resistant containers as child-resistant does not mean child-proof.

  • Any time that you have kids around it is a good idea to be aware of what they are doing. No technique is fool-proof and kids can be crafty, so stay alert at all times!

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Carbon monoxide is a gas that is odorless, tasteless, and colorless.

  • Carbon monoxide can leak from a variety of places including your gas stove, fireplace, furnace, oven, and even space heaters.

  • Installing a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home and conducting routine maintenance on your appliances is the best way to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.

As a general rule, always remember to practice safe habits and teach your family to never put anything in their mouths unless they know what it is. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned, immediately call the toll-free Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222).

For more information, visit the National Poison Center at

21 views0 comments
bottom of page