top of page
  • Writer's pictureClean Team USA

Water Damage Facts that will Make Your Skin Crawl

Every year, thousands of homes across Michigan are affected by flooding and water damage of some sort. Whether it's a burst in a frozen pipe, excess water due to melting snow or an Act-of-God, the damage, often times extensive, can cost thousands of dollars in mitigation and repairs. In times of emergency, know your facts, know how to handle the situation, and avoid making mistakes that could jeopardize your safety.


Mold is a naturally occurring element, that, in nature helps break down organic matter such as dead trees, branches, and leaves. However, when it comes to your home or business, mold is hazardous and can be destructive. Mold requires four main elements in order to grow: air, temperature, food, and water. The formation of mold can happen as soon as 24-48 hours after the event of water damage. When gone untreated, mold can rapidly spread and quickly become visible. Not all strains of mold are toxic, however, there are several that are very dangerous to your overall health. Aspergillus or Stachybotrys, also known as “Black Mold” can cause long-term upper respiratory impairments, especially to those who suffer from asthma or allergies.

Small Leak, Big Problems

It’s always important to frequently check your basement for any leaking pipes or excess water pooling onto the floor. A microcrack in a pipe as small as 1/8th of an inch can leak up to 250 gallons of water in one single day. The longer a leak goes unnoticed, the more extensive the damage becomes.

Fresh Water, not so Fresh

Water damage can come from many different sources, and, depending on what the source is, the area will need to be cleaned, treated, and sanitized differently, as even fresh water can become contaminated over time and become dangerous to your health. There are 3 main water damage categories that allow restoration professionals to understand any health hazards associated with the damage, and determine exactly how the area should be cleaned.

Electricity and Water Don’t Mix!

Most people are aware that electricity and water simply do not mix. Since water is a natural conductor of electricity, it's imperative to take all necessary safety precautions when water is near outlets, baseboard heaters, or power cords. Immediately after seeing unwanted water, if safe to do so, turn off the electricity to the affected area. If this is not possible at the time, contact your electricity provider and ask them to disconnect the power until the water is eliminated.

65 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page